Friday, June 7, 2013

I need to get better at this whole "blogging" thing...

Greetings!

I promise that I had a purpose for this post, but it currently eludes me. Oh well, random rambling it is...

A little background info: I'm currently a contract SLP who works mostly in schools and home health settings. Yesterday was my last day of school for the 2012 - 2013 school year. I honestly have no idea how I survived this year! One of my schools was a particular challenge as it was approximately 20 very low-functioning InD elementary students. I had worked with higher functioning InD students, but these kiddos were a whole new world to me. My first week there was a particularly eye-opening experience. I went in with good intentions and my lesson plan ready. I quickly learned that any paper activities (i.e. coloring pages, etc...) were a "no-go" in one class when a student ate a chunk of paper as I was handing it to him. Luckily, I was able to react somewhat quickly and not allow him to eat the whole page. :/

 Of course, everything worked out in the end and I got to know and love the students. (Well, to tell the truth,  I didn't really love one of them who was my size and would slap me in the face/kick me/scream expletives. I strongly disliked her actions towards me, but I know it's something that she couldn't control due to various impairments. Let's just say I tolerated her on her bad days and actually liked her during her good moments.) One of my favorite go-to lessons with my students were book companion sets I purchased from TPT (TeachersPayTeachers.com just in case you've somehow never heard of it). I hope to, in the future, get permission from various TPT sellers and review their products, which I have already purchased and used, on this blog. I also have a goal to get my TPT store up and running. 

I seriously cannot remember what I had planned to write about in this post. Goodness gracious! I guess I'll have to revisit it later, and now I know to jot ideas down whenever they come to me. :)

Have a fantastic day & thank you for reading! 
Joanne

No comments:

Post a Comment