Saturday, May 11, 2013

Whoonu!

One of my all-time favorite speech/language therapy games!
Whoonu is a great therapy game for all ages! My students absolutely love this game, and I do too! It's a wonderful "getting to know you" game for initial sessions, and it has many practical therapy applications as well. One player gets to be the "judge" each round, while the other players choose a card from their deck in hopes that the judge will select it as his or her favorite. The judge then places the cards face up, in order of most to least favorite (with, you guessed it, the most favorite counting for the highest point value). As the judge completes this task, he or she needs to explain each choice using clear, fluent speech and complete sentences- that's how you sneak those IEP goals into all the fun. ;)

Some Speech-Language Therapy Applications:
* Articulation- Since I enjoy this game as well, I play with the group. For my artic kids, I
   choose the cards based on their speech sounds, not necessarily the cards that will score me
   the most points.
* Fluency- Students are asked to use smooth, fluent speech while explaining their selections
* Language - I require each student to explain their choices using complete sentences. 
* Pragmatics - The students interact appropriately with peers & use good turn-taking skills.

I hope this game makes its way on to your list of go-to therapy games! :)

Whoonu Game on Amazon.com 

These are my personal opinions and I have not been compensated in any way. :)

2 comments: